Skip to main content

John Cook collection on Lexington Park Flat Top Real Estate Development

 Collection
Identifier: MSS-103

Scope and Contents

Collection contains 8 photographs and one architectural drawing of the “Flat Top” neighborhood of Lexington Park, built by the United States Navy in 1943 and designed by the renown architectural firm Kahn and Jacobs. The collection consists of reproductions of items held in the archive of Kahn and Jacobs in New York.

Dates

  • 1943

Biographical / Historical

The United States Navy needed to house the workers who removed to Lexington Park following the construction of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station in 1942. The neighborhood, later known as the “Flat Tops,” was the first planned community in St. Mary’s County. It consisted of about 150 concrete and brick duplexes and a small commercial and community center. The development was designed by the nationally recognized firm Kahn and Jacobs with architect Louis Justement designing the houses in the southern portion, which were completed in 1944. Given the firm’s influence in the functionalist and modernist design movements, it is fitting that the homes had slanted roofs and tall banks of windows, giving them a distinctively modern feel. Currently, only one “Flat Top” remains and it is accompanied by a historical marker. The rest of the former neighborhood, at the time of this writing, consists of the Lexington Manor Passive Park.

Source: "Architectural Significance of the First Lexington Park Community," HMdb.org, Historial Marker Database. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=56719, viewed 12 August 2022.

Extent

.125 Linear Feet (1 box, 1 oversize item)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Collection contains 8 photographs and one architectural drawing of the “Flat Top” neighborhood of Lexington Park, built by the United States Navy in 1943 and designed by the renown architectural firm Kahn and Jacobs.

Author
Kent Randell, College Archivist
Date
2022
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the St. Mary's College of Maryland Archives Repository

Contact:
Calvert Hall
St. Mary's College of Maryland
47645 College Dr.
St. Mary's City MD 20686-3001 United States
240-895-4196